Ads

Friday, September 13, 2013

319

This morning, on my way to work, I was doing my KPI while driving. 
What KPI you mean? Doesn't matter, that's another story for another day, but you see, today I inserted this CD into my CD player, and started playing its content. 
It only took me about 15 minutes to finish listening to the contents. It got me thinking the whole day. 
On my way home after work today, I listened to the same CD again. This time, I listened to it for 3 times (due to the terrible traffic today) and I really felt the need to share about the content of the CD.

This is a story of Khun Nuanvirat Kraubua. 
This is a story of a girl, who grew up in an average family. When she was young, her father told her to study hard, get good results, and come out to the society to get a good job. And so she did. She took a degree in law in a local university in Thailand, did her barrister with the Thai Barrister (insert correct term) and came out to work in a law firm. In her mind, she set a salary target for herself, and when she did not get it, she went on to further studies in Masters in Law, in London. She completed her studies in due time, and came to to Thailand to be attached to one of the top law firms in the country. 

She was hired with her desired salary. She worked very hard, most of the time 12-13 hours a day. Even though she only works for 5 days in a week, she finds it difficult to actually be detached from her work. Even when she goes out partying during the weekends, she was constantly worried about her work. Her salary then, was about RM10,000. She led a very steady, comfortable life. She then added, that with that salary, her work also came with a liability. Since she is in the legal business, her legal opinions and advises came with the great word of responsibility. She cannot afford the tiniest bit of mistake in her field of work. She worked hard for about a year, when she was diagnosed with a high potential risk in Colon Cancer. 

That was her turning point. 

She said she begun to realize that if she no longer works, her parents will be affected by the halt of her income. So, one fine day, in the midst of all these, she was approached by her good friend, who is an actress in Thailand. This good friend of hers, was earning about RM20,000 then, but was also doing a business. She told her that this is a good opportunity for her to make money and also gain more. Well, being a lawyer, Khun Nuanvirat was very skeptical about such good opportunities. Being in the legal field, she has dealt with so many cases of fraud, money business that she told her good friend that there is no such thing in this world. Even though she was skeptical about the business, she did not let that get into her way. After her meet up with a friend, she went through the legal documents of the company, scanned through every piece of legal documents, as well as she took her time to buy books regarding passive income to understand the theory behind it. 

I won't write the full story BUT if you are interested to know how her story develops, I can lend the CD to you, FOC. 

Now, enough with her story.

After I heard that, it hit a chord in my system. I can relate to this girl's story.

I come from a humble, average family. Not poor, but not rich either. 
I was educated to study hard, go to a good school, work hard, and then lead a better life than I used to. I have a professional background, which means my title comes with a liability. Being an Engineer, all the drawings, documents, reports, analysis, etc comes with a heavy responsibility. If, in the event, any of your designs fail, you are hold accountable to the failure. And what are we paid for? What are we paid for such a heavy responsibility?
I used to work, more than 10 hours a day. For money. I used to think about work when I am away from the office. I am worried if I can't finish certain tasks, and end up worrying the whole weekend. I was skeptical as well when the idea was presented to me, but I did not let that stop me. I went to find out more. 

I did not close my doors. And that's something really important. 
You may not like the idea, for now, but that simply just mean that it's not your calling yet. It's not because the idea of it isn't a good one. 
It's just because you don't know much about it yet. 

And because this scenarios are just so common these days. I am sure 3/4 of my friends' list here are professionals, are professional employees, earning a comfortable income, leading a comfortable life. See if you can relate to this story of Khun Nuanvirat Kraubua. 


No comments:

Post a Comment