Ads

Sunday, April 29, 2012

294

Over the weekend, you may or may not have done something meaningful.
It could be just hiding in between your bed sheets, or spend the entire day catching up some soap dramas. Or you were just home, spending time with your loved ones.

It doesn't matter what you've done, because your countrymen has fought for your rights. Your children's rights. Your country's future.

Me? I did not make it.

Was it because I was afraid? Of tear gases or water bombs?
Was it because of the heat? Was it because of the "people mountain people sea"? Was it because of the crowd?

No. It was because of my parents, who kept calling me from 3 days before since I told my dad that I was going to join the Bersih 3.0 rally that Saturday. They have both took turns calling me day and night, pestered, warned, cajoled me NOT to attend the rally. To them, it was like a reenactment of May 13. And they didn't want me to be a part of it.
To not make them worried, I promised not to go.

Do I feel sorry about my decision?

Personally I felt the rally was to create awareness to the public, the government about the electoral reform we NEED in Malaysia. I have always been aware about things like these, but a rally? Would my presence in the rally do any good? Or will it cause uneasiness to my old folks knowing that I might be in  dangerous state?

To some of my comrades, I am nothing but a selfish person.
Not being part of a wonderful historic event (not sure if this would ever be in my children's historical text books). Like what my dad kept telling me that being in a rally would ONLY create awareness, but the real deal would be during the polls.

To make up to my absence, I have been updating myself with the Bersih updates every single minute. Refreshing my News Feed and also Malaysiakini.
Although I would want to say that it felt like I was just right there with them, but the fact is I was not. I couldn't experience the stinging sensation by the tear gas, the fear of having to runaway from the authorities, the peaceful demonstration carnival-like protest until the terror begun.

Kudos to the young (and old) blood who went all out last Saturday!



May there be change after this. 

1 comment:

  1. kena tear gas is damn fun weih~ whaahhaa! it was an excellent experience la seriously. :D
    but it's ok. dont make mama and papa worry. :)

    ReplyDelete