Ads

Sunday, June 19, 2011

208

This weekend was all about Father's Day, and I'm pretty sure almost all whom would had the opportunity would definitely bring their Fathers (and Mothers) out for dinners/lunches. How did you spend yours?

My weekend ENDED, when I got a text from Dad that my granddad has been admitted into the hospital the night before. I was worried but also glad that if it had to happen, it couldn't happen on such a right weekend, because I was given a long weekend off, since I was in Lumut. I got back to Ipoh on Friday afternoon, to find out that Dad was also on his way home, from KL. Anyway, if you're wondering at this point, what diseases/mishaps that my Granddad was admitted for, it was because he was a patient of DM (Diabetes Mellitus)-high blood sugar and because of that, his open wound is not able to heal properly which causes bacteria infection, thus inflammation which led to fever and because he's of old age, the family got all worried and decided to best admit into one of the finest hospitals in Ipoh. 

So, you must have guessed it correctly - my whole weekend was spent in the hospital, visiting my granddad most of the time. 

Dad is a filial son, so much so, most of the time, he would wake up early, to go to the hospital, and buy food for his dad. The other sons were busy with the family business, thus couldn't make it there, as frequent as mine. I admire the fact that my dad (who has also aged throughout the years!) can be so patient with my granddad. Considering that my granddad has lost the inability to walk properly, unless with the aid of a wheelchair or having to stagger with the help of his trusty walking stick. 

Two nights ago, Granddad has voiced out that he wants to be discharged due to reasons which I don't know. I would've guessed that he feels lonely/bored in the hospital and couldn't get the attention/affection of his family. Or maybe the older generation might think that it would be too costly to stay so long in the hospital and tricked themselves into thinking that they have healed miraculously. Anyway, the brothers had a slight argument; one side wanting him to stay in the hospital to recuperate and on the other hand, my dad whom I believed, has a better understanding of his dad's wishes, firmly agrees that his dad to return home. 

So Dad won, probably because he's the eldest lot in the family. 

But I was secretly on the other family's side, because I would know that it is difficult for my granddad to even go to the toilet, what more to walk about in the double-storey corner house? My dad was determined to make it better for my granddad, and even took time off from work on a Monday, to fetch him to the hospital TWICE A DAY for his antibiotic injection. You know how difficult that would be? For him, for the family and for my granddad himself? 
Having to walk to the car, slowly, then to the hospital, and repeat the entire process altogether, daily?

I would definitely understand why my uncles/uncles' wives were against the idea, because my dad is always in KL and have not faced my granddad so directly and for a long time before. I understand. 

So when my dad was grumbling about how his brothers were trying to push the responsibilities to one another, I told him that maybe they are not wrong. Maybe they have reached their limits, of having to take care of his dad. And to know that staying in the hospital would be a wiser choice, since there would be nurses waiting in hand for him. And how dangerous it would be, leaving both old folks (granddad and grandma) in the house, and if one would fall down, both of them would be helpless. He knows, but I think he's torn apart. 

Knowing that his father craves for some attention from his children, and to know that staying in the hospital would be a better choice. 

My granddad is home now. Earlier, I see both dad and him, both struggling up the staircase, just to go to the toilet. It would only be valid for today and tomorrow, what if dad returns to KL? Who's going to bring him to the toilet? 
And I was afraid that one of them would have slipped the hand guard, 2 of them would have tumbled down. How am I going to resist the 2 of them falling?

As idealistic it may be, when we were younger, we learn that children who send their parents/grandparents to the Old Folks' Home are immoral. But do we know, that sometimes, sending them there, is because of other circumstances? It is easy to say "I can take care of him" but when it comes to the real thing, can you really forgo your present commitment and look after your parents? Providing them with 24/7 attention? Can we stop our jobs, just to stay at home?

Yes, in the ideal world, but definitely not in the realistic one. 

Does that mean we love them lesser? 
No. 

I'm grateful I come from a family who does not send their parents to Old Folks'. And for the fact that I still have my paternal grandparents with me. 
I can't control what my dad decides to do.

All I can do, is just hope my granddad heals quickly. 

Happy Fathers' Day, Pa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment