This is my 3rd day at the office, and things are a little slow now. There are so much to learn, but no one is free to teach me. I want to do some self-studying, but what are the materials? The company just gave me their laptop, installed Windows 7 on it, but there are so many essentials that are still not in it yet, like for instance, Adobe Acrobat, and even Antivirus. They are still using broadband (powered by Digi) because the Streamyx guy still doesn't want to come and install the internet yet. Since my office is new, most of the things are still new here, even the stationaries, and utilities.
Yesterday, my senior asked me, whether I have my passport with me here. This is because we might have to be in constant preparation to travel, anytime, whenever the clients need us. Sometimes, we might have to travel all the way to Singapore, or even Batam. Right now, the places we travel to, are ports and yards (in laymen terms, means dirty, hot sunny places) because that's what we do. Transporting and lifting of jackets/platforms/ships to barges.
My company are the Sub-contractors. Put in simpler terms: We are the lowest level, in the pyramid. Which means, we provide services to clients. Means, have to see people's face. Gawd.
But no ranting yet. I'm trying to see how much I would be able to learn here. Mum has been bugging me to quit, EVERYDAY without fail. Maybe she sees that this work is dangerous for a girl like me. Can you believe that I'm the only Girl Engineer in this company? I know about Gender Equality now, but then, in this industry, it's pretty sexist. Maybe out of 100 workers, you probably find one girl, but most of the time, the girls are the document controllers/admin/tea lady. And when they see one GIRL engineer, the operators/labourers would go all, "Phweet,phweet..Amoi.." or they would just stare at you, smile sheepishly. At first, it felt like harassment of somesort, but then, you grow used to it, and eventually, I joined the bandwagon.
First thing to get comfortable to subordinated, is Cigarettes. Then sex talk. Sex doesn't involve you being involved physically, but this is where you can learn to be comfortable whenever the men talk about women physics, and everything about women.
Like I said about, "This industry albeit pays more, but what it takes away is even much more."
No comments:
Post a Comment